If you spend a lot of time lobbying for engagement in Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEI&B) efforts in your organization, you are not alone. Between ambivalence and downright resistance, it is hard for many organizations to get the level of engagement they need to bring about real change. Don’t let the rumor mill or baseless claims designed to spark fear interfere with progress. Learn how to face and confront resistance and distracting rhetoric with courage and grace. Even though you may be further down the path with your DEI&B efforts than those who are just getting started, you may not realize that there are proven ways to get everyone to the DEI&B table. You and your team can learn them.
Learn how to…
- Lay out the business and practical case for DEI&B.
- Overcome DEI&B resistance with grace.
- Learn what critical Race Theory is and why it’s important.
- Structure DEI meetings and learning strategies such that there is less resistance and defensiveness.
- Advocate for the preservation of teaching the real history of U.S. society.
Resistance and skepticism can be a cultural barrier to progress in organizations, but they can also be an opportunity to create genuine partnerships across differences. The goal isn’t to change people’s beliefs, but rather to help everyone make positive shifts in their behavior in order to create a more inclusive and, therefore, productive environment.
- For anyone looking for support and knowledge to represent the value of DEI to others
- 90 minutes – 3 hours
- Offered as open-enrollment sessions throughout the year
Note: The approaches and strategies practiced in this workshop are described in Gaslights and Dog Whistles – Standing Up for Facts Over Fiction in a Fearful and Divided World by Jim Morris.